INTRODUCING IDP’s newest course: Understanding Community Development – a QQI Level 5 accredited course held with support from Donegal ETB Community Education Programme.
Starting next Wednesday, April 26th, the course will take place over the course of eight Wednesdays fro,10am – 4pm in the IDP Buncrana office.
The course is being delivered by Francine Blache Breen.
Places are limited so booking for this is advised by emailing email@example.com or calling IDP on 93-62218 for more information on the course itself.
The cost for the eight week course is €40 – see below for the full course content
Indicative Course Content
Understanding Community Development – QQI Level 5 5N1901
Francine Blaché-Breen – Facilitator
- Introduction & brief history of Community Development in Ireland;
- Community Development as ‘the 3rd sector of the economy’;
- Examining critical analysis vs criticism;
- Examine key concepts in Community Development including participation, collective action, collective outcomes, empowerment, equality, activism, social change, poverty, social exclusion, examination of power dynamics, sustainability;
- What is Community? Distinction between Community Development & community activity;
- Defining the term ‘stakeholder’ and examining various stakeholders within the community and Community Development;
- Introduce the concept of Community Profiling and uses of local analysis;
- Power & powerlessness;
- Examination of Equality/Inequality as a key concept in Community Development;
- Examining Community Development organisations;
- Examining the history of Social Movements in Ireland;
- Community Development & Peacebuilding.
While delivery of content through lecture & presentation will be necessary, where and when it is possible, small group discussion and exercises will be used to engage participants with topics and concepts.